Ever wonder how to add more superfoods into your diet without spending loads of extra time prepping? Smoothies are the answer – especially now that it’s summer and our bodies are craving cooler foods.
You can add and maybe even hide ingredients you may not otherwise enjoy into a smoothie and feel good about starting your day with tons of nutrient dense ingredients.
Ever heard of Barley Grass Juice Powder? It has quickly become one of my absolute favourite ingredients to add to my smoothies. In fact… I add it to my smoothie every morning and have noticed a considerable change in my energy levels, digestion and skin since I’ve started using it. Which is pretty awesome!
So.. what’s the big deal?
I first learnt about Barley Grass Juice Powder (not to be confused with barley grass powder) when I did Anthony William’s Medical Medium diet. It is one of nature’s most nutrient dense foods, and in it’s concentrated powder form, it is highly absorbable by the body.
Barley Grass Juice is harvested early when it is tender young grass (before the grass produces the grain) so it’s completely gluten and grain free. In it’s young grass stage, barley contains the following nutrients:
- chlorophyll, which helps keep the body alkaline and ward off bacteria
- vitamins A + C
- various B vitamins
- minerals such as calcium, magnesium and potassium
- high in absorbable protein; containing 20 amino acids and 8 of the essential amino acids
- helps with the proper decomposition of fats in the body, which helps balance body weight
It can give your body a serious immune boost, improve digestion, and energy.
Not convinced yet? Try it for yourself:
Green Gut Healing Morning Smoothie
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ cup wild frozen blueberries (super high in antioxidants – more so than regular blueberries)
- ½ cup water (I like my smoothies thick like ice cream:))
- 1 handful of baby spinach
- 1 tsp Barley Grass Juice Powder (organic)
- 1 tsp Hawaiian Spirulina
- 1 tbsp L-Glutamine Powder (I use Designs for Health brand)
- 2 scoops Designs for Health Pure Pea Vanilla Protein Powder
- Add to a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy immediately or take on the go in a smoothie cup for later.
Give it a go, and let us know what you think!
Yours in health,